Popper Doodle Day

As many of you know, Mike had a birthday at the end of January. To make his day extra special, we tried to make him a fancy dinner. The menu included: hazelnut crusted chicken with Gorgonzola sauce, wild rice, green and yellow beans, and IBC root beer. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the chicken a 6. I think hazelnuts are delicious with chocolate, but not so tasty with chicken. Also, Gorgonzola is one of those moldy cheeses. I don't need to purchase fancy, moldy cheese. I produce such cheeses in my fridge monthly; although, I don't usually eat them, unless I'm not paying attention. However, Mike seemed to like the meal, and I suppose that is what really matters.
Mike Showcasing His Birthday Meal

Ali Wouldn't Eat Most of the Food, But She Did Like the Root Beer

After Dinner, we had birthday cake. Mike wanted jello cake with vanilla pudding icing, and that is what he got. James asked why daddy wanted an ugly cake for his birthday. I guess the cake doesn't look great; I didn't decorate it, but the cake tastes wonderful, and James ate a lot of it (so there, Jamesey Bear).
Boys Hovering Near the Fire and the Cake

In honor of Mikey Day, we also got a babysitter, and Mike and I went downtown. Mike had a mission—to find and attain the elusive cheap Chicago parking. We went to Watertower Place Mall and parked in their garage. After 5:00 p.m., you can park for $11 as long as you spend $10 in the mall. We bought chocolate and ate it while riding the escalators and elevators. We also were able to walk through the American Girl Place store. These dolls are very expensive. Alison will never know the joy of owning one, but I may let her look in the store someday. I noticed the American Girl Place doesn't have any boy dolls (I suppose the name sort of hints at this). I wonder if boys feel left out, or perhaps the store has an entire level devoted to boy dolls. I guess I'll never find out because I don't care that much.

Mike and Megan in Front of the American Girl Place

After wandering the mall, Mike and I went up to the top of the Hancock Building—it's the second tallest building in Chicago. We went to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor and ate dessert. We didn't manage to get a table with a great view, but the view from the ladies' room was wonderful. Mike said the men's room didn't have a view; I suppose the restaurant doesn't think men want to spend much time in the bathroom. However, they understand that ladies will spend quite a while in a bathroom—way to understand the customer! Yet, the bathroom line took longer because of the gawkers, and we all know that lines in ladies' rooms are long enough without the added distraction of a view. Since I don't think we'll go back often, I guess the view was worth the wait (although, I really wish I hadn't drunk so much Diet Coke).
View from Ladies' Room on 96th Floor of the Hancock Building

Comments