A Weekend of Summer

Summer weather swept into our area this weekend like a sweaty sauna. I know that the summer weather will not last, especially this early in the year, but it whispers and burns of things to come, such as humidity. I've heard that the humidity here is nothing like other places in the U.S., but I'm originally from Idaho, where humidity is almost non-existent. Therefore, this early showcasing of humidity leaves my heart as stale as those poor Lucky Charms that I forgot to seal up tightly. Because of humidity, those marshmallow charms will never live up to the potential for which they were created; they will never crunch delightfully in my mouth.

Speaking of things crunching delightfully, the ants have started marching one-by-one into my house. Actually, the ants are wandering aimlessly. I think they are on reconnaissance missions. They're searching for the sweet stuff, possibly my stale Lucky Charms. Well, if I can't have the Lucky Charms, then those tiny menaces certainly aren't getting them. I'm glad we've noticed the ants early on; I detest finding huge piles of ants in my kitchen or elsewhere in my house. I hate ants with a passion, and my hatred, as many of you may know, goes back a long way. The story is tragic and gross, but let me say this: Always look before you eat. You can never look too closely at your food. Nobody should ever experience the taste and feel of a large mouthful of live insects. I understand the ants and I were both in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I must assign blame, and I was outnumbered by hundreds of them.

Although I did not enjoy this early summer weather, my kids had a wonderful time today and yesterday. Their turtle sandbox was filled a couple of weeks ago, so the kids have been hard at work spreading the sand everywhere. Typically, the entire turtle is empty by the end of summer. It's a process called cherosion (child-induced erosion), and it really helps with with sand disposal and turtle storage in the fall.

The following are some pictures and a video of the kids wallowing in warm weather.

In the first photo, we have James pointing at eggshells that Mike likes to throw in our flower bed. I've heard that shells are good for the soil, but we probably need to have James put on his shoes and smash them down. The weather just isn't smashing them for us—lazy weather. In the next photo, we have James eagerly awaiting the rush of water from the sump pump hose. You can tell the water is coming by the whale-like song the pump emits before pushing the water out. Technology can be eerily beautiful.

Now it's Ali's time to shine. Outside, Alison shows an initiative for cleaning that is lacking indoors. While sweeping, she also enjoys pointing out birds. She claims most of them are owls, and she makes a very realistic owl call. If there is ever an owl call competition at a county fair, she'll be there.

The following three photos show Phil and James in our new car. It is a Mazda5, and it is black. I didn't necessarily want a black car, but it was the cheapest one on the lot. Please notice how in the first photo, Phil is using his mouth to drive. Last week, I also caught him standing, hanging on to his dresser knob with his mouth. His mouth is always willing to lend a helping hand.

Finally, here is a video of Phil taking a leisurely Sunday drive in a one-James powered car.

Comments