Key to My Worries

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have never trusted cars with power locks and windows. I'm also a little wary of anti-lock brakes. Moon roofs are another concern for me. What if the seal fails and water starts to leak into my car during storms, or what if someone decides to smash the moon roof to break into the car? Mike said this is ridiculous because they would smash a window instead, but I think the moon roof still counts as another point of entry in a vehicle already surrounded by glass. I don't really enjoy the moon roof, so I usually keep it covered. When it is uncovered I feel like someone is watching me (maybe those Google Earth people). Anyway, all of these car features are just more mechanisms that can break. With our new Mazda5, we also have a key fob that locks and unlocks the doors and pops out the key from within the fob's guts (kind of like a switch blade, only a little less stabby).
Key Fob Closed

Key Fob Opened

Every time I have to use the key, I worry about that little key popper button. How many more pops does it have in it until it can pop no more? The sales guy said the key fobs are $300. I don't know if that is true, but can a key, a normal one, be made without being part of a fob, just in case my key decides to never come out of its shell again? I've thought about leaving the key in the open position all of the time, but I worry that the items in my 20 lbs. purse will snap the key off the fob.

Then there is the fob's battery. I can't find a battery compartment on the fob. I can't find information about the fob in the user manual. Battery changing is probably another feature the dealership uses to make money. So, I try to lock the car using the auto lock button on the driver's side door, which may also break, but I'm guessing it will last longer than the key fob, plus it gets its mighty power from the car. Just a quick note, though, I have really enjoyed the power locks. Getting the kids herded into the car takes much less time with power locks.

When buying our car, we did check to see if the base model came without the extra power features, but it came with them. I suppose most people don't like manually rolling windows up and down or manually locking each door. I didn't enjoy it either, but I knew it was for a good cause. Yet, over time, I'll probably get used to the car's bells and whistles and the trauma-inducing key fob. Time can sometimes be a great reducer of worries, or maybe time just allows you to go numb to some worries. Regardless, when you see me popping my key out of the fob repeatedly, like I'm practicing for a knife fight, you'll know that my fob worries have moved to the basement of my brain (for storage).

Comments