On Friday, we visited the zoo. James was allowed to bring ten of his precious animal replicas for the journey. To conserve energy, we have had to limit the amount of carry-on animals, and we might start using weight as the limit instead of quantity—four elephants, three hippos, and three rhinos weigh much more than a family of meerkats and a couple of giraffes. Alison also brought along some animals, which were on loan from the James Laub Collection. She packed ducklings, so my only concern was keeping Phil from swallowing one.


James and Ali at Various Locations in the Zoo
While at the zoo, near the Australia House, my wedding ring and I were separated. My ring has tried leaving me before, but its attempts were half-hearted. Once, the diamond tried to escape by ripping itself free from the ring and hiding in a cooler full of ice. Mike managed to track it down, and we had the diamond re-restrained. This time, however, my ring was so determined to desert me that it vaulted off the stroller where I had precariously placed it and then let the ground bounce it to a new life with someone or something (at this point, I've narrowed down the possible owner to an animal, vegetable, or mineral). We did search the path again and again, but all we found were a nail, a dime, and a variety of discarded gum wrappers. The zoo police said they would call me if anyone turns in the ring, but it's been two days, and there have been no calls from Brookfield Zoo.
Old Photo of My Ring, Along with Pics of the Stroller and Baby that Aided My Ring's Escape (Phil's Enthusiastic Bouncing Helped Propel My Ring to Freedom)
I'm saddened by my ring's desertion. It wasn't a very expensive ring, as far as wedding rings go, but it had sentimental value and a lovely sparkle. On a positive note, though, Mike has decided to remain with me even though the symbol of our love and marriage is gone. Well, he still has his ring, so only half of our symbol is missing. And a long time ago, he gave me a toe ring that I've never worn, so until my ring or a suitable replacement turns up, I'll just have to wear that ring.

This is so sad! If it might make you feel better (which I'm sure it won't), Jason lost his ring several years ago and we're still happy as ever. Although I find that I am quicker to irritation these days, I don't think they are related.
ReplyDeleteLove the new blog look! Very fancy schmancy!
Doesn't the blog look remind you of a nice nursing home? If so, my mission is accomplished.
ReplyDeleteAfter Jason lost his ring, did you buy him a new ring? James told me that without my ring, someone could just come along and marry me. I'm a little worried, but it took a lot effort to rope Mike into marriage. Also, now that I have kids, the baggage would be too much for most men, and I don't usually go anywhere without the kids. I suppose they are like an enormous, heavy wedding ring. They cost a ton, and they are extremely hard to keep clean. And when we go out, I often lose them for a while. The similarities are endless :)
Bummer... so sad... but hey, better a great marriage and no ring, then great ring and no marriage.
ReplyDeleteHave you been checking Philabuster's diaper presents to you? Maybe he is the culprit?
BTW: Nursing home is not what I was thinking... maybe sympathy card (so I guess they are related!)
ReplyDeleteMichele, I have been checking his diapers, just in case, but so far, no pay off.
ReplyDeleteI could further the sympathy card motif by changing the flowers to lilies and having the kids close their eyes and lay down straight for the picture. Also, a mountain range silhouette in background would probably complete the effect. I'll look into it :)