My giant desk is no more. I've wanted it out of the basement since the day it arrived in my basement. That thing was the size of a twin bed and impossible to move. Sure, it provided tons of surface space, but it took over much of the family room and was an odd mustard color (the color doesn't show up in the picture below, probably because it offends the internet, so you'll just have to imagine it). Also, the kids were always spelunking underneath the desk, where they would be drawn to the pretty surge protector light like bugs to a zapper, and believe me, my tongue would zap them mercilessly when they shut off that power switch. The desk would also periodically attack me with splinters, and if my knees weren't careful, the desk would ram into them.
Me Working at My Desk (About 2 1/2 years ago)—Notice How I Try to Keep My Knees a Safe Distance from the Desk Edges
Now I must find a new home for all of the drawer junk I had in the desk. Currently, the contents of the desk reside in my giant laundry basket/tub. I'll go through that stuff someday...most likely when I really need post-it notes, bolts, pixie-sized light bulbs, thumb tacks, miscellaneous cables, or 11-year old wedding thank you notes that Mike forgot to mail (I found them four years ago, but I just can't decide whether I should mail them after so many years).
My basement is now a disaster area because we moved around some book cases and moved down a different desk for my computer. James told me the mess made him dizzy, and he wasn't sure if it could ever be cleaned up. Alison clapped her hands and ran into the mess with the enthusiasm of an anthropologist on an archeological dig. When she emerged from the mess, she exclaimed, "I'm a fairy horse!"—she was wearing a horse costume and fairy wings. Phil hasn't been allowed to partake of the mess, mainly because he will literally partake of the mess, and I need to make sure all small, pointy, metal objects are off any surface he can reach.
As a parting gift and as a reward for reading my desk rant, here are a couple of Phil pictures.


I'd like to thank you for giving me something to sing all day, haha!
ReplyDelete