Today, Philip turned one. He began this momentous day as he does most days...looking out the patio door and wishing he were free as the birds or that raccoon that likes to relieve himself in our yard.
 |
| Phil Longing for the Great Outdoors and the Possible Nourishment Hiding in the Grass |
Next Phil went on an adventure to the pediatrician, where he was proclaimed healthy with a very big head (95th percentile). At the end of the doctor visit, Phil received two shots that helped him feel extra sleepy for nap time, and I was able to use this lengthy nap to make his cake. For his cake, I decided Phil needed a theme, and the theme would be bouncy balls. We bought him a ball popper machine and a big, blue beach ball. On the cake, I was going to write: "Happy Birthday, Phil! Have a Ball." However, I ran out of room and enthusiasm, so I shortened "Birthday" to "B-Day" and let the reader infer "Have a Ball" from the cake's decor (bouncy balls and Sixlets®). Just to be clear, though, the moment the bouncy balls were purchased, my kids inferred "Have a Ball," so mission accomplished.
 |
| Phil's Birthday Cake with Implied Message and Kids Ignoring Cake to Play with Super Fun Baby Toy |
By the way, did you know that you can buy a giant tub of Sixlets in the Target candy section? Also, did you know that Sixlets are only chocolate
flavored? As a child, I was sure that my hard earned 25¢ was buying quality milk chocolate, not flavoring. Since I had been fooled as a youngster, I was sure my children wouldn't notice anything amiss, but James's tongue proved to be wiser than its years and pronounced the Sixlets "gross." Ali didn't seem to care; although, she has been eating finger nail polish off her nails lately, which could be affecting her palate. Phil, on the other hand, has been sampling dirt and ladybugs, so he found Sixlets lacking a certain earthiness he's grown accustomed to.
As mentioned a couple of paragraphs ago, we bought Phil a ball popper. Because I did not want to travel into the crawlspace where I store my wrapping paper, I decided to wrap Phil's gift in newspaper comics. After gazing at my wrapping job, James said in a hushed voice, "I didn't know you could wrap it so beautiful." Once and a while, the animals in James's universe align, and he says the perfect thing. After soaking in the praise, I decided to enhance the wrapping more by cutting out Phil's nickname in newspaper letters and taping them to his gift. I feel this gave the gift a whimsical ransom note quality that many birthday presents don't have.
 |
| Phil's Present Adorned in Newspaper Castoffs and Phil Climbing to the Summit of His Present |
 |
| Phil and Siblings Experiencing the Joy of a Toy for Kids 9 Months and Up |
As a finale to Phil's birthday extravaganza, we let him pick a restaurant for dinner. A while ago, Phil gave James power of attorney. We're still looking for the paperwork, but since James is always there making decisions for Phil, speaking for Phil, and fighting Ali for Phil, we've assumed everything went through the proper legal channels. Therefore, James picked the restaurant: Olive Garden. If James and I could go swimming in a pool of edible sauce, it just might be the Olive Garden's Alfredo Sauce. I can just see us now, floating around the pool on garlic breadsticks—yum!
 |
| Partial Family Picture in front of Olive Garden Sign and James Showing His Mighty Strength by Holding up the Sign |
Our Olive Garden server really helped make our visit a festive occasion. He brought out a cake with "Happy Birthday Phillip" written in chocolate sauce around the plate (Note: We spell Philip with one "l" but it's the thought that counts and two "l's" did provide more chocolate). Had I known that we would get a cake that could feed the family at the Olive Garden, I would not have made the bouncy ball cake because, even for me, that is too much sugar in one day. The bouncy ball cake will be saved for this weekend, when we are in need of a sugar pick-me-upper.
 |
| Fun-Filled Evening at Olive Garden—If We Look Tired, It's Because Our Tummies Are Down |
Finally, to end this lengthy birthday post, here is a short video of Phil playing with his birthday present.
Comments
Post a Comment