Today, I decided I would try to make Olive Garden breadsticks and Alfredo sauce from the discomfort of my own kitchen. When I told James my plan (he's a longtime supporter of both the sticks and sauce), he responded, "Well, you can always try." His sarcastic undertones made me want to try and succeed all the more. So I collected my internet recipes and went to work. Here are the links to the recipes I used:
Neither recipe was too difficult to make, but things got a little hectic because I decided to cook chicken, pasta, and a vegetable at the same time as the breadsticks and sauce. I did feel very efficient and professional because the oven and all of its burners were going. My oven got a workout, and my house heated up toasty-roasty.
Now for the recipe reviews. The breadsticks were okay; I would give them a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is the best breadstick ever). The recipe said to use all-purpose flour, but I wonder if bread flour would have tasted better. Also, as a side note, I don't really love Olive Garden breadsticks. They're more like a utensil that navigates the Alfredo dipping sauce to my mouth. I guess I could have skipped the breadsticks and used a straw; however, the kids love breadsticks, just not the recipe I made tonight. James took two bites and walked away. Alison and Phil ate theirs, but they didn't want seconds.
The Alfredo sauce was quite good. It was not exactly like the Olive Garden's sauce, but Mike and I both really liked it. In addition to bread dipping, we had the sauce over linguine because I was out of fettuccine. I would give the recipe a 7 or 8. I think it might taste better with a little less cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. I may make it again and fiddle with the recipe, but since the recipe uses an entire cube of butter, I won't be making it for a while. The butter cubes in my fridge prefer to morph into cookies, cakes, and various unhealthy dessert items rather than mundane main dishes.
So, to complete James's previous statement, you can always try, but you will often fail. My search for the true copycat recipes continues.
![]() |
| Recipe Results with Spokesmodel Ali Cooka-Cooka Enhancing the Tableau |
Neither recipe was too difficult to make, but things got a little hectic because I decided to cook chicken, pasta, and a vegetable at the same time as the breadsticks and sauce. I did feel very efficient and professional because the oven and all of its burners were going. My oven got a workout, and my house heated up toasty-roasty.
Now for the recipe reviews. The breadsticks were okay; I would give them a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is the best breadstick ever). The recipe said to use all-purpose flour, but I wonder if bread flour would have tasted better. Also, as a side note, I don't really love Olive Garden breadsticks. They're more like a utensil that navigates the Alfredo dipping sauce to my mouth. I guess I could have skipped the breadsticks and used a straw; however, the kids love breadsticks, just not the recipe I made tonight. James took two bites and walked away. Alison and Phil ate theirs, but they didn't want seconds.
The Alfredo sauce was quite good. It was not exactly like the Olive Garden's sauce, but Mike and I both really liked it. In addition to bread dipping, we had the sauce over linguine because I was out of fettuccine. I would give the recipe a 7 or 8. I think it might taste better with a little less cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. I may make it again and fiddle with the recipe, but since the recipe uses an entire cube of butter, I won't be making it for a while. The butter cubes in my fridge prefer to morph into cookies, cakes, and various unhealthy dessert items rather than mundane main dishes.
So, to complete James's previous statement, you can always try, but you will often fail. My search for the true copycat recipes continues.

Nice to see Diet Coke making an appearance!
ReplyDeleteIn the end, food is just an accompaniment. Diet Coke always takes center stage. Before cooking, ask yourself, how would this pair with Diet Coke. If the answer is, "not well"; I suggest "not make" for that dish.
ReplyDeleteI've already had a question about why I chose "toasty-roasty" instead of "roasty-toasty." My Doodle and I both agree that things are toasted before they are roasted. If one out every one Doodle agrees, I won't be led astray.
ReplyDeleteDon't ever speak for Doodle again.
ReplyDeleteSigned with threatening undertones,
Doodle
Doodle, I own all rights to everything you have said, are saying, will say, or may say.
ReplyDeleteSigned with giddy and ditsy undertones,
Megan