I attempted to make pork chops this week. I opted for the boneless kind because, as a child, I never enjoyed eating around the bone. The process was sort of like tracing around a country's border with my teeth. One false bite, and my mind and stomach would be at war. My stomach doesn't appreciate the mental pictures created by the touch-taste of bone, tendon, or fatty gristle.
Instead of using Shake-and-Bake, which was the preparation of choice when I was younger, I looked up a recipe and used the
Italian Breaded Pork Chop one from Allrecipes. The recipe was pretty simple, and more importantly, I had the ingredients at home. The only drawback was the egg dipping. Although I make French toast a few times a month, I really hate having my hands touch chicken egg placenta. I'm sure that scientifically it's not really placenta. However, goo, unless it is chocolate goo, is unwelcome on my hands. That's why I like squeezy containers for mayo, mustard, ketchup, and so on.
The recipe turned out pretty well. Mike seemed to like the pork chops. I would give the recipe a 6 out of 10, but I'm not that fond of pork, unless it's in its bacon form. Mike gave the recipe a 9, but he likes variety, and I've been cooking a whole lot of chicken throughout our marriage. With the pork chops, I also served couscous, which I do love. If pork is the other white meat, then couscous is the other white rice. However, couscous is really a wheat product. It reminds me a little bit of Cream of Wheat or grits, but it's not gummy. The grains of couscous are very small, and I learned that Phil should never be served couscous. He lodged it in every crevice and fold in his immediate vicinity. I think a pile of sand would have created less havoc, and at least sand weighs more so it is easy to sweep up.
 |
| Italian Breaded Pork Chops with Couscous and Applesauce (the sauce was necessary because the chops were dry) |
The kids had a pretty good week. Phil was not injured from any falls this week, so his face is ready for pictures.
 |
| Thank Goodness for Sisters—Ali's Dolls Give Phil the Opportunity to Hone His Nurturing Skills |
The autumn weather came blowing in, full force, this past week. But the kids couldn't be kept away from the outdoors. Ali likes to experience nature with bare feet. The elements then attack her toes, which leads to many shrieks of pain and owies, and yet, she keeps trudging outside
sans shoes. They say we learn from our mistakes, but Alison is stubborn; she's waiting for nature to change.
 |
| Ali Loves the Trampoline, James Loves His Bike, and Phil Loves Pots of Dirt. |
Comments
Post a Comment