James turned seven last week. He's been anxiously awaiting this birthday since the day after he turned six: he plans early and often. Throughout the year, I would check in with him about possible gifts, and he was extremely consistent in wishing for bison—both adults and calves. He is building a bison herd in our family room, along with a wolf pack (the pack needs something to hunt, and the herd needs something to run from or gore). His birthday gifts introduced three new adults and two new calves to his herd. His old bison accepted the transplant bison gladly, and the wolves were ecstatic. Let the hunting and fleeing begin!
 |
| James Posing with His Birthday Presents. |
James also received a bug/amphibian tank from his friend Ryan. James will be attempting to raise a tadpole, so stay tuned...I'll keep everyone updated on the tadpole's survival.
As for a cake, James wanted his birthday cake to be a tribute to North American animals. He drew me a picture of an example cake to work from, and I tried to follow the essence of his schematic. When James saw the finished cake, though, he told me, "It's not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's pretty good."
 |
| James's Birthday Cake—Animal Placement Done by James. |
Alison and Phil also enjoyed James's special day. Alison doubled up on tutus (she wore two at one time), and she added a festive beret and purse for photos. Phil set the thermostat to 48 °F, so we wouldn't be too warm once the candles were lit.
 |
| Ali in Her Festive Wear, and Phil and Ali in Matching IKEA Bibs for Cake Gorging. |
I don't know...I think the cake looks exactly like the design of the cake.
ReplyDeleteIn James's drawing, I think the blue line on the right-hand side of the cake is a geyser. James asked me where the geyser was when I finished making the cake. I guess he was expecting a precise location in North America. I thought I just needed to focus on general locations where the deer and the antelope and the bison play.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think the cake exceeds expectations from the drawing! Very nice!
ReplyDelete