Kids' Analysis of "You Don't Mess Around With Jim"

Chorus of "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" by Jim Croce: 
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off
the ol' Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with Jim

While in the car, the song came on, and the conversation went like this:

Superman's Cape
Ali: "Why can't I pull on Superman's cape?"
Mom: "Because Superman is a super hero, and he's strong. He might punch you if you tugged on his cape."
Ali: "Why would he do that—I'm only four?"

Spit Into the Wind
(Ali has asked about this line a couple times before this conversation.)
Ali: "When I was riding in the car with daddy, he let me roll down the window, and I stuck out my head and spit. The spit didn't hit me in the face."
Mom: "Well, maybe you need to try harder."

Lone Ranger
James: "Who's the Lone Ranger?"
Mom: "He's a man who wore a mask and helped people. He also rode a horse."
James: "No, mom. I remember now. He was the horse, and the horse wore a mask. I've seen the show."
Mom: "No, you're thinking of a cartoon. The Lone Ranger was a TV show with real people. It was a black and white show."
James: "Mom, you're not supposed to talk about people's color. Color isn't important."
Mom: "I was talking about the TV show. It was not in color. It was all in black and white, and the Lone Ranger was a person on a horse. He had an Indian side-kick named Tonto."
James: "A real Indian from India? Because the other ones are called Native Americans."
Mom: "I meant a Native American."
James: "Okay." 

Comments

  1. I think you need to join a debate club to learn to speak with your children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment